Friday, August 10, 2007

Dining out - how long can you go?

One of the things I noticed when I began tracking the household spending a few months ago was the crazy amount of money we were spending going out to restaurants each week. The worst part about it is that I know we can make better tasting food - so I guess we were just lazy!

So, over the past few months I've been working on eating at home more and going out less. The spending tracking spreadsheets have helped me to see the decline and it's awesome.

I was just looking at my tracking sheet for August and got really excited. It's the 10th and the only money we've spent at restaurants was $2.70 for two coffees at a drive-thru. And ... I have no desire to go out anywhere this weekend! Hooray! It's really exciting. And the thing is - the grocery spending is only up about $2.50 a week on average.

And if we can keep this up for the remainder of the month that will be just too awesome. I think maybe I'll cash in some MyPoints rewards points for a restaurant gift card so that when we get antsy for going out it will be free.

No comments: