Sunday, May 13, 2007

job hunting woes

I really hate job hunting. But what I hate even more is interviewing! I feel like that is all I have been doing lately, and it's hard to keep up the job hunt. It's frustrating to go to an interview and get someone that clearly has no idea how to conduct an interview. I've been to so many interviews that I can tell almost immediately when I'm going to have an amateur interviewer.
  1. For starters, they are on time. Most interviewers tend to keep you waiting about 15 minutes before they come out, at least in my experience. And this really irritates me. Interviewers expect the job hunter to arrive early, yet they make them wait. I actually had someone that was in HR in one of my MBA classes that actually said that if someone does not show up early for an interview that her company will not hire that person - regardless of qualifications or how the interview goes - because by not arriving early they do not appear to show a real interest or care for the position. That's right, if you really care about getting the job, you must show up early. Even though they will make you wait. Unless they are amateurs.
  2. They come into the interview empty-handed. Most interviewers at least show up with a copy of your resume in their hand. And then there is the dreaded list of questions. What I really hate are the form questions, that don't apply for every position but they ask them of every single person that interviews. I think that this is really irresponsible of companies because by not tailoring the interview to the position, then they cannot accurately gauge the interviewee's qualifications for the specific position. I recently interviewed at a large hospital, with multiple locations all over the state, for a financial analyst position. The majority of the form letter interview questions had to do with customer service. Not once did they ask my about my background in financial analysis or anything even remotely related to financial analysis.
  3. There is a long uncomfortable pause when you both sit down to start the interview where they smile at you uneasily. This is by far the biggest clue that it will be up to me to lead the interview. Otherwise, I don't have a chance in hell of getting a second interview. This usually seems to happen when the interviewer is a lower level supervisor that is not used to doing this sort of thing. An easy fix would be to have a higher manager or even an HR person in on the interview. The person being interviewed should never have to be relied upon to lead the interview. Coming in for the interview is stressful enough as it is.

And now, on to Monster to see what kind of torture I can subject myself to later this week.

No comments: