Tuesday, June 10, 2008

And why can't you live on $400 in food stamps for 3 people?

Like most people, I have been reading those stories over the past few weeks about the rising cost of food and how people on food stamps can't cope. Each time I read a new article I was amazed by the amount of food stamps received and the fact that they ran out of food mid-month.

I have seen commenters on other blogs saying things like "you don't know their situation" and "they probably don't have a computer and can't print coupons" and "maybe a convenience store with high prices is all that is nearby" and so on. Personally, I think there is no excuse for not being able to feed a family of three on $400 a month. (unless there are some weird health/diet issues present)

For instance, I have a family of two adults. I just got back from the grocery store. I had no coupons for this trip. I only spent $25.98. Here is what I got for that small amount:


  • 5 lbs of bananas
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 1 pack of Betty Crocker deep dish pizza crust
  • 1 lb of red lettuce
  • 1 head of iceberg lettuce
  • loaf of regional name brand bread bread
  • store brand large size cottage cheese
  • 1 lb. family size pack of Sargento shredded mozzarella
  • 1.25 lbs of grapes
  • 5 'on the vine' tomatoes
  • pack of generic brand margarine sticks
  • 16 oz. pack of fresh strawberries
  • 1 pint pack of fresh blueberries
  • 6 oz. pack of fresh raspberries
  • 1 lb bag Freshlike brand frozen corn
  • 1 five pound bag of Green Giant yukon gold potatoes (not on my list but they were on sale $1 off)

And if I had not gotten name brand items on things like the shredded cheese, the bread, the pizza crust mix and the potatoes I could have saved even more!

This is a heck of a lot of food! So I just don't get it. People CAN live off $400 a month in food stamps. They just make poor choices.

No comments: