Friday, October 19, 2007

Frugal ways to have fun without spending a lot on entertainment

One of the things about being in debt and trying to pay off that debt is getting creative. You do not want to sacrifice things like entertainment and going out but at the same time you really need to put as much money as possible towards some debt paydown.

So, what do you do? Well, in my experience you get creative and find some fun, frugal types of things to do that do not cost any money. Or at least not a lot.

Here are some of the things I have been doing that are frugal ways of having fun...

1. Look for free or discounted tickets to events.

Until last weekend I had never been to a Renaissance Festival. I have always wanted to go to a Ren Fest but the scheduling has never worked out for me. Well, this year it did work out. Tickets were $17 at the gate and $15 in advance. That is $30 minimum, which is kind of a lot for 2 people. So, I got to looking online. I was looking for more of a discount than $2 but I found something even better. Someone on MySpace had 2 extra tickets that they had gotten for free and the first person to contact them got the tix. Guess what -I was the first person! His message was posted on the group for my city. So, my advice is to look on groups for your city on MySpace or any active message boards for your city.

2. Look for free things going on in or near your city.

Tonight I am going to the Circleville Pumpkin Show, which is not too far from where I live. I have never been, but it is totally free! I am sure there will be lots of shopping there, but that is not what I am going for. Parking is supposed to be free too! Then on Sunday I am going to the 38th Annual Apple Butter Stirrin' Festival, which is also not too far from me and totally free as well.

3. Use your local library!

This week I went to the library and got some books and some DVDs. Talk about your free entertainment!

4. Bookstores are a great way to spend and afternoon.

I like to go to a Borders or a Barnes and Noble and spend an afternoon looking at magazines or books. The great thing is that most of these places have chairs and tables, so it is like they encourage you to stay a while and read. The best part is that it does not cost a thing.

5. Watch for free days at local museums.

Most museums have at least one day a month where they have free admission. Find out when that day is and go! You may have to pay for parking but the whole family will get to go to the museum at no cost. Just remember that special exhibits usually cost even on free days.

6. Know where your local parks are.

Local parks are another great way to spend an afternoon. Depending on the park, you might be able to take your bike or rollerblades. There also might be a place to feed the ducks or play soccer or football with friends. And there is always the standby of a picnic or just laying on the grass and reading one of those library books.

7. Earn free movie tickets.

Through MyPoints you can earn points that you can redeem for entertainment oriented things. You can get a gift card for Regal Cinemas. Or you can get a gift card to buy something fun from places like KB Toys, Barnes and Noble and more.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got a few ways to cut down expenses.
1. Buy a season's pass. While it may seem expensive to shell out $50 for a zoo or museum pass, if you go fairly often, you save a lot of money.
2. Volunteer somewhere that interests you. If you want to see a great concert or other events, see if they accept volunteers from the public. Free event, great people.
3. Join a book club at the bookstore or start your own (via your Facebook network)

That's all I've got for now!