Sunday, April 29, 2007

Amsterdam anyone?

In an effort to keep myself educated on immigration issues in Europe, I regularly read various sites to see what the latest info is on getting residency, citizenship, etc. overseas. In my reading this week I came across a surprising bit of info.

It seems that is it fairly simple to get a residence permit in the Netherlands. And once you have the residence permit, then you can apply for citizenship after 5 consecutive years of living there. The best part - they're in the European Union, so once you get that coveted citizenship, you can move freely about the EU - and that is what I really desire.

Up until this newly discovered information, I thought that Spain was the quickest way to EU citizenship, with an 8 year wait.

Of course, I don't really know much about the Netherlands. Amsterdam and Rotterdam both look nice and are close to Paris (around 4 - 5 hours) which is awesome. Now on the to-do list is to learn some Dutch and make a visit to Amsterdam sometime next year.

No comments: