Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Comparison shopping for new tires

I've been putting it off, but I need new tires on my car and I can't put it off any longer. So, I have been looking around trying to get a feel for prices. Every place that I have looked has had prices starting at around $80 and going up from there. I looked for the tire brand/style that is on the car now and it's $90 at Goodyear and another tire chain and $114 at yet another tire chain. I looked online at Sam's Club - that same Goodyear tire is $63. The only problem is that it is a special order item and takes 5 - 10 business days to arrive.

I'm thinking a few more days won't hurt and it will save me around $100, so I ordered the tires at my local Sam's Club. And as a bonus I can cash out some points on MyPoints for a Sam's gift card to take care of $25.00 of the cost of the tires.

The unfortunate part is that I can't get the other service items that I need done at the same time like I wanted since I'll be getting the tires at Sam's.

So, if you're looking for tires, make sure you check out your local Sam's club. And since they don't take credit cards (except for Discover and their own) you get to make sure you don't rack up any more debt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can also negotiate prices too. I ALWAYS negotiate tire prices. Most places like Tires Plus and Discount Tire will beat other stores prices, so you can tell Discount Tire that Costco is selling their tires for $63/ea and they will beat them - most of the time with the exact same make/model of tire or even a higher rated tire. It pays to dicker, trust me.