Wednesday, May 30, 2007

career change thoughts

I really want to be my own boss and do my own thing. And I have no doubts that at some point I will be doing just that. Unfortunately, that time is most likely in the future due to the debtload. I don't have the time or money to invest in a business venture right now. I have a few things that I plan on working on that don't require a lot of time or money up front, but they are not the kind of things that allow you to quit your day job.

And I hate my day job. Accounting. Ick. Now, I'd actually like to get into a financial analyst role and have taken several finance classes. Yet, finance managers can't seem to see past my accounting background. It's as if I have the plague. They don't care that I have unofficially done fin analyst roles in positions where the job title was not fin analyst but some of the work was. They don't care about my degree or how many finance classes I have taken. So, that frustrates me.

A few days ago I got an email from the Art Institute Online about some new programs they are doing and I check out their site. I think I might take a couple of classes on web design and whatnot and see where that leads. It is definitely something that I am interested in. And it would be easy to make that a business. So, who knows, maybe it will be a good fit. I'm thinking maybe I'll go half-time, that way I won't have a lot invested in it if I don't like it. Of course, I don't know how I'll fit that in with all the overtime I am trying to work. Actually, by the time classes start I'll probably be burnt out on working overtime- do it won't be a problem.

And I'm still the top candidate for the open position at my company. It should pay more, and it's a lot of fin analyst work - but again, it doesn't have that for the job title! So, it would leave me in the same place.

No comments: